Now that week three has rolled around, I am no longer craving grains. I bought my co-workers bagels and was unfazed. Success! I did crave sugar at work on Friday and have a couple pieces of Easter candy (we always have candy around and I let temptation get the best of me) but on the whole, the process has been on track (meaning no grains/ no sugar).
A big part of following this life plan is starting the day off right with a protein packed breakfast. During the week, I am lucky enough that the BF cooks me breakfast. It usually consists of an omelet packed with veggies (eggplant in my omelet is my favorite!) and bacon.
Sweet Apple Sausage Egg Hash Bake
1 lb. Trader Joe’s Sweet Apple Sausage
4 small/medium sweet potatoes
1 small onion
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
2 tbsp of fat (butter, lard, bacon grease) I used lard
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a sauce pan, heat up your fat and add in the two cloves of garlic minced. Once the garlic is sautéed and begins to turn a light brown, add in chopped/skinned sweet poatotes and onion and sausage crumbled. (Note: some sausages will allow you to remove it from the casing. This sausage had very thin casing and so I simply crumbled the pieces in my hands)
3. Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes become tender.
4. Once the potatoes are tender, remove the mixture and add to a baking dish. Crack 4 eggs overtop and place the dish into the oven uncovered.
5. Bake the dish for 10-15 minutes or until the eggs become stiff when touching the egg white.
This breakfast dish was the perfect combination of sweet and salty, a definite make again!!
Coming up later this week: Baking on a Paleo diet.