Running and Blog buddy Melissa and I have been tweeting, facebooking and g-chatting all week breaking down the course, our cheer stations and the plan of attack. I am so excited and thankful I have a friend to share my first marathon experience with! Not to mention, one that 100% runs/trains like I do. I’m not running for time my friends; I’m running to finish the damn thing!
1. I have to leave the house by 4 am to get to the startling line including a porta potty stop etc by 6am.
2. Am I eating enough carbs? Will my body freak out since I have been (mostly) Paleo for the last 8 months?
3. Where are the porta-potties along the route? (This is a serious question, if someone could answer that for me,
I’d be forever grateful!)
4. Am I eating/drinking the right things this week?
5. I hope I make it through without puking.
The last one about vomiting is a real fear of mine. During my training, I have experimented with all types of fuel (Gu Chomps, Gu, Shot Blocks, and even sports drinks like Generation UCAN). The Generation UCAN (although going down is a little rough) was the easiest on my stomach and lasted me a whole two hours of running before supplementing with more fuel! This little gem will probably be part of my race strategy on Sunday. I might even have the bf pack some ging ale and pretzels as a post race go-to.
This is the first race I feel prepared for which is ironic considering it’s my first marathon. I think it’s probably because I’ve been training since May so this weekend has been a long-time in the making!
I’ll have follow-up posts this week covering off on everything from nutrition and fuel to race day prep. Happy Tuesday!